Sunday, September 26, 2010

New plants! - Amazon Swords, Water Whisteria, Penny Wart, Ludwigia Natans, Cryptocoryne Crispatula and Star Grass

It was just before I got the Otocinclus and friends that I got some more plants for the aquarium too. I got Amazon Swords, Water Whisteria, Penny Wart, Ludwigia Natans, Cryptocoryne Crispatula and Star Grass. I ordered them online and they were mailed to me. I learned allot from that experience... If you're going to get plants in the mail, only order stalk type plants or plants with thicker or broader leaves. Most of the plants arrives just fine, but the Star Grass and the Water Whisteria were pretty much a loss. I have the Star Grass floating at the top of the tank right now to see if it will revive. The Water Whisteria disintegrated on the way. All the leaves "melted" for lack of a better word. I rinsed them in water to get all the rotted leaves off and it just left the stalk and a little bit of new growth on each stalk. I have thos floating at the top of the tank as well to see if they will do anything. The Amazon Swords, Penny Wart, Ludwigia Natans, and Cryptocoryne Crispatula all have done very well. Over all I'm happy with the plants.

 
Here are the Amazon Swords

 
Here are the Ludwigia Natans

 Here is the Penny Wart

Here is the Cryptocoryne Crispatula (furthest to the left)

I now had concerns about making sure there were enough nutrients in the water to support all my plants. I bought some Flourish by Seachem from my LPS. It seems to be working well. I just added Flourish Excel by Seachem too since I don't have a CO2 unit on the tank. I was doing some research and ran across several people talking about Flourish Excel. I've only had it in for 2 days now, so we'll see how it goes. It's supposed to help growth and color.




No comments:

Post a Comment