Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Dwarf" Bristlenose Plecostomus... The great debate.

Ok, I have 2 plecostomus that were sold to me as "Dwarf" Bristlenose Plecostomus. I've been looking all over the internet trying to find info on them and have been unsuccessful. I know enough about plecostomus and the different breeds to know the Ancistrus are a smaller breed of Pleco and have been called "Dwarf" due to their small size compared to a regular Pleco that gets upwards of 18" long. From most things I read, it says that bristlenose plecos top out at about 6" in length. I've come across countless articles and forum posts that have people saying that there aren't "Dwarf" bristlenose plecos, it's just that bristlenose are just small by nature and have been given the "Dwarf" tag* (Paraphrasing there).

So, my question is: Is there a "Dwarf" breed of Bristlenose Plecostomus? Does anyone know at what age or size most Ancistrus are considered sexually mature? From most things I've found about this specifically, it suggests that they need to be nearly full grown to be considered sexually mature. If that's the case, My pair (who seem to think they are rabbits) are only half the size (About 2 1/2" to 3") of what the majority consider the adult size of a Bristlenose Pleco to be.

Any thoughts, ideas or input would be appreciated.

Here's a few pictures of the male:




Here's a few pictures of the female:



No comments:

Post a Comment